Monday, September 13, 2010

Repurposed Yogurt Container


I'm always trying to find new and cute ways to reuse/repurpose stuff like this yogurt container. I usually reuse them as storage containers like for left-overs, but there are so many other ways these little non-recyclable treasures can be reused...

Here is what I did...

First, I had to find a way to get rid of the expiration date...I knew I would be covering the rest of the container with contact paper, but this little lip would be exposed.

Well, believe it or not the first thing I tried worked! And it worked so well it cleaned the whole container leaving me with this blank canvas. But why clean the whole thing if I'm going to cover it? Well, the contact paper I wanted to use was a bit see through so, needless to say I was very happy it all came off...By the way I used Comet cleaning agent and a scouring pad, plus a little bit of elbow grease. The whole container took about 3 to 4 minutes to clean...Not bad.

After it was all cleaned and dried I covered it with this beautiful black and white toile contact paper I found at the Dollar Store.

Then I punch a little hole on the lid and added a metal eyelet to make...

This very chic crochet thread holder. I've been crocheting a lot lately and was getting a little frustrated when I'd pull my thread and it would roll all over the place...Not anymore! I'm delighted with how it turned out. What do you think? Do you have any other ideas for reusing/repurposing these yogurt containers?

Thank you for stopping by today.

I wish you all a wonderfully creative new week.

Blessings.

**Reminder: This Wednesday is the last day to enter my giveaway...All you have to do is leave a comment on the previous post...(HERE)**




Hugs and Kisses,

21 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Well, aren't you the smart one? Very cute and pretty too, I might add! Love the toile!

Blessings,
Sandi

Julie Marie said...

Oh Ana, you always amaze me at how creative you are! That is just adorable... I recycle everything I possibly can too... and like you, try to find ways to use those things you can't recycle... thanks for a fun idea!... xoxo Julie Marie

Wobegon Cottage said...

I love the paper and what a great idea...I was thinking it would be great for kitchen string or on a craft table for tying up packages, do you think it would work for rolls of ribbon?

Cindy said...

Hi Ana,
How cute and smart is that?!?!?! I love it and you must feel so good when you look at it, knowing that you saved it from the garbage heap.
You are one smart cookie.
Hugs, Cindy

Gina said...

That is so clever! Very cute too...I love this idea.

sunshine said...

I love it!
How smart are you??!!! :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Kate said...

Ana'
That is totally amazing!!! Oh cute are you!!! Very Very creative. Hope that you and yours are doing well. You are always in my heart.

love you mucho
Kate

Elyse said...

another amazing ana makeover! wow. i have to check out my dollar store.

xo
elyse

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Great idea Ana! Very clever!~Hugs, Patti

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

What a great idea! I'll have to go to the dollar store to see if I can find that contact paper! LOVE it!

xxoo

elmundodetrapito said...

hola amiga que idea tienes una gran solucion encontrastes y muy elegante muy bella semana y mucho cariño a ti y a tu hermana moni

Dawn said...

Fabulous! I can't believe that's contact paper from the dollar store! Crocheting a lot huh, LOL! ;)
Hugs,
Dawn

Barbara Jean said...

so sweet! great idea
blessings
barbara jean

Misborda2 said...

Hi Anna: excellent idea!! to become perfect, I love the role you chose, and it will surely be of great use for your crochet work!!
Congratulations on your ingenuity and creativity !!!!!!
A hug, Happy Day, Laura.

ALESSANDRA said...

hallo Ana!!!!!!!!!! This work is wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacqui said...

Ana, that is so pretty, how clever of you. Hope you are having a wonderful week xxx

Willow said...

What a wonderful idea. I wished I could fine some of that paper here. It is just too pretty.

Willow

Sandra said...

Hi Ana! How are you? Oh my goodness! I love love your idea of repurposing those yogurt containers! You are too smart, my friend!
I hope you have a wonderful day!
Sandra

Barbara Jean said...

Ana,
Just hopped over to your ETSY shop. Love your little crocheted cuffs.

thanks for signing up to follow my blog.

blessings
barbara jean

Crocheteando said...

Hola Ana!
Fantástica idea... lástima que aquí los botes sean mása pequeños y sin tapa. A ver si encuentro algo parecido. Yo reciclé un bote de mascarilla para el pelo con crochet (en mi post de 9 de julio) pero el tuyo es ideal.
Besos

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love it Ana, so neat and you did a great job on it plus eliminated a problem at the same time!

Rondell